18.5.09

What Did YOU Accomplish Before 8:30 am This Morning??

20.02.09 - Friday

Alright folks,
This Friday morning was unlike any normal, welcomed Friday morning. In as such, I would like to share my Friday, the 20th of February morning with you all, since, well, in my opinion, it couldn't get any weirder. Alright. Here goes...


6:30 - 7:15 - All is well. Normal waking up rituals.

7:15 - 7:25 - Walk Rigley (the dog I'm dog-sitting...) Meanwhile, get to the end of the street and see something on a neighbor's back balcony. Um. What?? Yup. A Bovinae of sorts...


Indeed, a cow.

7:45 - 7:50 - Start drive to work. Realize I need gas. I know there are gas stations on Governor's Blvd. "Let's go there!" I think...

7:52 - Pull into gas station next to something that resembled this:

What's up playa!?

7:53 - Start pumping gas. Get the head-to-toe look-over from "friendly" gentleman walking out of gas station. Begin to realize maybe this wasn't the best idea... I start praying vehemently to my friend Jesus.

7:54 - A couple different cars have pulled up next to different pumps. But they are not actually pumping any gas... Continue praying...

7:55 - Giant Chevy Suburban rolls in blasting something incoherent due to enormous amounts of bass & indistinguishable curse words & terribly inappropriate phrases. Don't worry though. This guy was sporting a Tweety Bird air freshener.

Totally gangsta.

7:55.3 - Large man steps out of still-running Suburban with smoke streaming after him... "Smoking cigarettes at a gas station? Not a very smart man..." I think to myself... Oh. Wait. That's not cigarette smoke..........

7:55.6 - Woman from next car over, pulling off the mullet with bleached streak hair-do & bedroom slippers, jumps into the passenger side of still-running Suburban, looks very inconspicuous while inhaling & exhaling some indiscernible smoke-like substance until the driver of said Suburban returns to the driver seat, when she then exits. Continue to pray for forgiveness for my stupidity in gas station choices...

Something similar to this lovely woman's "do."

7:57 - Woman from a second car wearing a body too big for her clothes runs up to the Suburban's passenger side window, which proceeds to roll down. Mumbles something I gladly couldn't hear. Apparently does not get the response she desired from Suburban man. Stalks away upset. I start thinking this gas pump doesn't work, because it seems to be taking forever to fill my tank...

7:58 - 7:59 - Finally done pumping gas. Do everything in my power not to run around to my driver's side door. Big Suburban starts to pull towards me as I walk around. I continue with ardent prayer. Man then backs his car up to shout "Cry Baby! Cry Baby!" to woman with ill-fitting clothing. I jump in my car & pull away onto the road next to a safe little blue Toyota Prius.

7:59 - 8:03 - Thank God for keeping me alive. Ask for forgiveness for my ineptitude in choosing gas stations.

8:04 - Change lanes on I-565. See postcard-sized piece of something flying towards my car in the corner of my eye as I'm changing lanes. Postcard-sized piece of something turns out to be thick chunk of wood. Wood hits my windshield at something around 75 mph, accomplishing three things at once.

1. Scaring the bejeezes out of me.
2. Cracking my windshield.
3. Giving me the chance to thank God for such a challenging morning in order for me to truly appreciate my Friday all that much more...

8:07 - Somehow manage to make it to work in one piece.

8:08 - Walk in and immediately start sharing my morning adventure with my area-mate Tom, who drops his jaw & asks, "Why on EARTH would you get gas on Governor's Blvd??"
I say, "Because I thought it would be fine at 8am in the morning."
"Becky, Becky, Becky... Governor's Blvd is not an acceptable place to stop at ANY time of the day. Well, I'm just glad you didn't get shot or propositioned."
Thanks for the concern Tom.


So... How does this compare to YOUR morning???

No comments: